Design Excellence Awards
Entry Fees – $50.00 per entry
- Projects must have been completed after January 1, 2019
- Participants MUST be ASID Alabama members in good standing
- There are 3 possible awards for each category. However, the judges will determine award level based upon how well a project meets design standards; therefore, there may not be one of each level presented in every category. In other words, the judges may chose to award Silver and Bronze awards should there not be a project they feel warrants Gold level designation, or Gold and Bronze awards in the absence of a project they feel warrants a Silver level.
- Possible awards in each category are:
- Gold – receives a trophy
- Silver – receives a wall plaque
- Bronze – receives a wall plaque
- Gold level projects will be published in ALDesign, the quarterly newsletter of ASID Alabama. Silver and Bronze levels may, or may not, appear in the newsletter; if photos of the projects are not published, an announcement or mention will appear instead.
- Additional Awards:
- Best of Competition - There will be two Best in Competition awards; one for commercial and one for residential.
- All forms, entries and payments must be received no later than midnight June 12th, 2020.
- This year we will be using a brand new competition management system we feel is much more user friendly. If you have any questions please feel free to contact us at email@example.com
- To enter go to: https://cpjam.com/asid/alabama/contests/Design-Excellence-Awards-2020
- Remove all project or firm identification from all parts of the entry except the appropriate forms. If anonymity is not preserved, the entry will be disqualified.
- Awards can be presented to either individuals or firms, the choice being that of the primary entrant.
- A project can only be entered into one category, except for the Industry Partner’s Choice category which can be any project whether entered into another category or not.
- Form A: Concept Statement - A written explanation of the client’s criteria (aesthetic & functional), problems, challenges, and specific goals. State exactly what was done and include details relating to furniture, finishes, lighting, flooring, architecture, etc.
- Form B: Release & Consent - All drawings and photographs submitted must be cleared by the entrant AND the client for exhibition or publication purposes. ASID shall assume no responsibility for copyright or photographic fees.
- Form C: Industry Partner Utilization - To be submitted only if entering the Industry Partners Choice category
- Project Photographs:
- Submit clear high-res photos suitable for publication (300 dpi or higher). Any one image must not exceed 10,000 MB.
- If photos are not of professional quality the project may not appear in the newsletter or other forms of publicity.
- Provide a minimum of 4 and a maximum of 10 photos for each entry, except for “Large” categories which will be allowed a minimum of 6 and a maximum of 15 photos. No PowerPoint presentations will be accepted.
- All photos must be submitted as single pictures (do not combine multiple photos into one), and should be in .jpg, .jpeg, or .png format. Photos must be high-res quality suitable for publication.
- Be sure that your images are oriented correctly.
- Floor Plan - Provide a clear and legible floor plan of your project.
Jury and Judging Criteria:
- All entries will be judged by a third-party to enable an "arm's length" approach to the competition. Projects will be judged against the design criteria, not other entries.
- Each criterion will be worth 10 points, with a possible overall score of 100 points. The criterion is as follows:
- Success in meeting the client needs as stated in the Concept Statement.
- Creativity and innovation
- Scale and proportion
- Color composition
- Relationship of the materials, and their textures and patterns
- Functional Use of Space
- Effective Use of Lighting
- Use of space planning to achieve functional objectives.
- Attention to detail
- Overall quality of project
- Submissions remain the property of the Chapter
- If an entry is awarded Gold level, the entrant agrees to Alabama Chapter of ASID sending all entry-related materials to ASID National for national entry and publicity if applicable
- Each entrant receiving an award agrees to follow publicity guidelines as established by ASID and authorizes ASID to use photographs and submitted content in publicity releases.